Review: Cover Your Gray 2-in-1 Mascara (Medium Brown, Dark Brown)

Once you start coloring your hair, you have to be prepared for the regrowth  and coloring your roots once a month or two months. The roots can look weird, if your natural color differs from your hair color. I have naturally very cool almost grayish brown hair and I dislike that cool tone so much. I always color my hair in a golden brown shades and once the roots grow out, it can look a bit weird. That's why I was interested in trying out Cover Your Gray products, to basically try to hide my roots. I don't have gray hair as of yet. 


Hair mascara comes in a plastic packaging with two sides. The plastic color should indicate color on the inside, but I wouldn't bet on it. Color inside is not identical to the plastic color.

In it is 7 ml of product and the price is 6.99€. You can choose among 6 shades, but I think in our stores you can find 4 shades. 



It has two sides like some of those old school mascaras. On one side you have a doe foot applicator and on the other side your have a mascara wand


Sponge applicator is better for applying color on sideburns or for filling in the roots. You can also apply the product with the sponge and then brush it out with wand. It gives you a higher coverage. Mascara wand brushes through the hair and gives them a light wash of color. It's not as opaque looking and it doesn't cover all the hair. I think mascara is best suited for those strands of hair that may have some unwanted color in them. 


I wanted to try out Medium Brown color and I was sent Dark Brown at first, so now I can swatch both shades for you. 

Dark Brown is a cool toned brown. It's definitely very dark and too dark for my hair color. The weirdest thing about it is that it has gold shimmer in the formula. I don't understand why, because it looks really odd on the hair. 

Medium Brown is medium brown shade with slight warm red undertone


Texture of it is like a thicker cream or almost like a mousse cream. It is pigmented enough that it covers gray or colored hair, but it all depends on application. If you apply it with mascara wand, it doesn't cover all the hair. If you apply it with a sponge, it gives better coverage and can cover the entire area. 


It's not the best product to use on the roots, because you need quite a lot of it to cover every strand of hair. I think this is best for certain gray strands or for those strands that didn't get covered with hair color. Sponge applicator is also great for covering sideburns, which are one of those parts of the hair that show hair regrowth the quickest. You can also thicken your hair line with it, if you feel like you don't have enough hair around there. 

It is harder to apply on longer hair, because it tangles them. Especially, if you try to cover just the roots, it can get a bit messy. 

I also don't like the fact that it makes the hair slightly wet, which also means that it looks shiny. After a while it dries down a bit, but then the hair feels crunchy, like when you apply cheap hair spray. It is slightly sticky and the hair can become really stiff, if you apply more coats of it. If you fluff the hair afterwards, it can also give you a bit of volume because of the added texture. 

The look of it on hair is actually not as bad as it may look on the photos. It actually gives you color and covers roots or gray hair. It's just the texture that didn't impress me. 

Here I applied Medium Brown on the right side. You can probably notice that the right side is a bit clumpier looking and it has warmer tone. My natural hair color is cooler and as you can see the shade isn't exactly a match for my hair color that I use.



Here you can also see my root regrowth with nothing on. 


On the left side I have Medium Brown and on the right side I have Dark Brown. I hope you can see golden flecks of shimmer on the right side. It's really hard to catch it on camera. It looks like I have dandruff and I don't get why they would put shimmer in a hair color.


Here I also wanted to show you how you can extend your sideburns and make it look, like you have fuller hair. 


Another minus is that it transfers, so you can't really go to sleep with it. It's more of a day product. Medium Brown doesn't transfer as much as Dark Brown, which is probably because of the darker shade. 

Medium Brown

Dark Brown
I think that this is a product for those of you that may need product that would give you hair color for a strand of hair that didn't get colored or a strand that is gray and stands out. It's also nice for filling in your sideburns and making it appear fuller. It's not exactly for a large part of hair, like roots, because you'll use too much product at once and it still won't cover every single hair.

I don't like that the formula makes your hair crunchy and that it sort of makes it hard to the touch. Basically, it looks obvious on the hair, if you use too much of it. It also transfers. Color choice is small and I sort of get that. But if you don't have a standard hair color, you probably won't find the perfect match, so it's pointless to use on the roots. There is also not as much product in it for you to use it on daily occasions. It's more one kind of a thing, when you really don't have the time to color your hair or you can't for other reasons. 

So it didn't really work out for what I wanted it to use - on roots, but I am not target audience for this. I just think the formula should be less wet looking. That's my main problem with it and of course, don't add shimmer in it, it doesn't make sense. 

*PR products.

2 comments

  1. Hja, ni to kaj posebej impresivno. Še sama vidim same minuse, tudi če ga uporabiš za originalni namen. Sem sicer gledala tole ali pa eno drugo znamko v drogeriji za mami, ker se ji ne da stalno barvat, pa sem potem vzela L'Orealov spraj ki jo je navdušil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, ni jim ravno uspela tekstura. L'Orealov se tudi meni zdi bolj zanimiv. Sploh, če imaš dolge lase. Samo pošpricaš po narastku in je :).

      Delete